Latin America M&A Overview Report
An EMIS Insights M&A Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: February 2019
Available in: English
In Q4, M&A returned to their usual peak after experiencing some dips around the middle of the year. The March deal for Fibria Celulose in Brazil (2018’s the largest transaction in the region) was completed in early 2019 and the official price stood at USD 7.5bn, some USD 4bn lower than the initial analyst estimates. Nevertheless, that difference was compensated by Boeing’s December purchase of 80% in Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services operations. Overall for 2018, deals in Latin America and the Caribbean were 1,618 (up 6.2% y/y) for USD 87.5bn (down 5.2% y/y).
Until the very last moment China was ahead of the US as top foreign investor in Latin America. However December’s Boeing-Embraer deal in Brazil for USD 4.2bn tipped the scales back in favour of the US, which took the top spot with 183 transactions for a total of USD 8.4bn.
This report provides an in-depth overview of the M&A deal activity across 11 countries in Latin America, and the countries in Central America and the Caribbean region. Particular focus is put on Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia and Chile. Our reports are presented in a consistent format from quarter to quarter, enabling users to analyse and compare data, and follow the latest developments in M&A.
What this report enables you to do:
- Follow overall mergers and acquisitions trends across the region and in key countries Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia and Chile
- See what major deals were announced and who was involved
- Identify the hottest industries and the top foreign investors
- Observe how valuations changed from quarter to quarter
- View Private Equity activity and the top entries and exits
- See which companies debuted on the stock market
- Gain insights into the largest upcoming deals
- Find out who the best performing M&A advisors were
See below for a complete table of report contents: