Chile Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2021-2022An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: July 2021
Available in: English
Chile is a relatively small economy, having the fifth largest GDP in Latin America in 2020. However, its retail sector is well developed, mature and sophisticated, and in many aspects on a par with those of developed countries. In 2020, the sector showed remarkable resilience to the COVID-19 pandemic and the related lockdown restrictions, with total retail sales expanding by 7.6% y/y in real terms, according to EMIS Insights estimates. This was underpinned by robust online sales, which surged by 69.4% y/y in real terms, and a strong performance of sales in the supermarket channel, up by 7.2% y/y. The hardest-hit retail channel was specialised and department stores, as the heightened uncertainty and mobility restrictions decreased client footfall and pushed down sales by 10.9% y/y.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the consumer goods and retail sector for Chile. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in Chile
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in Chile
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Chile
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Chile
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: