China Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2021 2nd QuarterAn EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: July 2021
Available in: English
In the first quarter of 2021, China’s retail sector witnessed a surging popularity of e-commerce and a further digitalisation of the retail industry. Alibaba and its major competitors JD.com, Meituan and Pinduoduo have recorded double-digit sales growth in the period, as consumers shopped online for items ranging from groceries to luxury goods. The net revenue of JD.com, China's largest e-commerce company by revenue, rose by 39% y/y to RMB 203.2bn in Q1 2021. Alibaba managed to push its revenue up by 63.9% y/y in quarter ending March 2021 to a total of RMB 187.4bn. Total online retail sales of consumer goods and services in Q1 2020 rose by 26.7% y/y to RMB 2,809bn. Online sales of consumer goods alone surged by 24.4% y/y to RMB 2,307bn.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the retail sector for China. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in China
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in China
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in China
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in China
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: