EMIS is a Euromoney Institutional Investor plc company Date: January 2017
Available in: English
The food sector is a strategic one for China’s economy, as it provides sustenance to almost 20% of the world’s population and provides the impetus for many other sectors, such as agriculture, transportation, machinery and vehicle manufacturing, and retail. Until recently the sector had been growing rapidly, but in the last two years the growth rate has declined and profit margins have thinned out. This is mainly due to weak global demand, which has hit the export-oriented segments of the sector, and to problems in the Chinese economy which have led to the unstable development of the local market and weaker demand. Moreover, the industry has been hit by food safety scandals, a problem that has been haunting the sector in general – and the dairy subsector in particular – for quite a while now. The industry is under pressure to modernise and to guarantee better accountability of its raw material sources. The government has responded by issuing new laws on food safety with more severe penalties, but it remains to be seen how they will be implemented. The recent depreciation of the local currency has helped local producers by lowering importers’ profit margins and making local products more competitive globally. As a result the situation in the sector has somewhat improved since the beginning of 2016.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the food manufacturing sector for China. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the food manufacturing sector in China
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key data on production and consumption for the sector in China
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in China
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in China
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for sub-sectors (e.g. baked food, candies, convenience food, dairy products, canned food, and retail sales).
See below for a complete table of report contents: