Indonesia Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2020/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: May 2020
Available in: English
Indonesia is the world’s fourth most populous country, so its retail sector is an attractive destination for investors. A 2019 ranking by A.T. Kearney placed the country as the fifth most attractive retail emerging market. The sector employs some 24.1mn people, or 17.9% of Indonesia’s workforce, and generated 13% of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2019. Household consumption has traditionally accounted for over half of the GDP, highlighting the strong fundamentals of the retail sector. In 2019, the aggregate household consumption expenditure increased by 8.4% y/y to almost IDR 9,000tn. Spending on non-food and beverages grew by 11.7% y/y and took the bigger share in the consumption mix with 50.5% of the total. Indonesia’s retail sector attracted USD 12.7bn in foreign direct investment (FDI) in 2017–2019, or about a fifth of the total FDI.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the consumer goods and retail sector for Indonesia. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in Indonesia
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in Indonesia
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Indonesia
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Indonesia
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: