India Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2018/2022An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: August 2018
Available in: English
The retail sector has been one of the driving forces of the Indian economy, expanding its value added at a CAGR of 11% over FY2013-2017, driven by positive demographic trends, ongoing urbanisation and an increasing middle class population, rapidly adopting a consumerist lifestyle. In FY2017, the trade sector accounted for 9.5% of the country’s GDP, 5.4% of total FDI and around 8% of national employment. However, organised trade remains at a nascent stage of development, which, given expectations for a robust increase in consumer spending, anticipates a huge growth trajectory facing the retail market. Indeed, it is set to nearly double to USD 1.1tn by FY2020, up from USD 672bn in FY2016, according to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) projections. In 2017, A.T. Kearney ranked India as the world’s most attractive developing country for retail investment, based on its impressive market size, low saturation levels and moderate economic and political risks.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the retail sector for India. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in India
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in India
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in India
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in India
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: