Mexico Consumer Good Retail Sector 2021-2022An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: June 2021
Available in: English
Mexico is the second-largest economy in Latin America and the second-biggest consumer market in the region, with a population of over 127mn people, as of December 2020. The domestic retail sector was negatively affected by COVID-19 and the related lockdown restrictions in 2020. During the year, overall retail sales fell by 2.3% y/y in real terms (adjusted for inflation), according to EMIS Insights estimates. Nevertheless, the impact on different retail channels was mixed: e-commerce and the supermarket channel registered robust growth in sales revenues, while sales in department stores, specialised stores and shopping centres contracted at double-digit rates. In 2020, retail trade activity remained concentrated in supermarkets, which accounted for 34.3% of total retail sales, followed by shopping centres with a 28.6% share, specialised and department stores with a combined share of 26.9%, and e-commerce with 10.2%.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the retail sector for Mexico. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in Mexico
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in Mexico
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Mexico
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Mexico
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: