Romania Banking Sector Report 2017/2018An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: July 2017
Available in: English
As in any developed or emerging market, financial intermediation in Romania represents an important generator of wealth and stability for the whole economy. With net assets of credit institutions amounting to 51.9% of the GDP, the financial sector still remains somewhat underdeveloped. After the 2008 crisis, net assets soared by 57% to RON 394bn in 2016, compared with RON 251bn in 2007. However, they expanded at a slower pace than Romania’s GDP. Foreign ownership of credit institutions grew from 83% of total net assets in 2011 to 91.3% in 2016. Private deposits soared at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.5% between 2011 and 2016, whereas total loans and commitments increased at a CAGR of 3.8% over the same period. Thus, with its loans-to-deposit ratio at 83.2% in 2016, the banking sector remains liquid and stable. The share of the banking sector in total employment decreased from 1.9% in 2011 to 1.5% in 2016 as a result of the financial crisis and the decrease in the number of credit institutions from 41 in 2011 to 37 in 2016.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the banking sector for Romania. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the banking sector in Romania
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key data on assets, liquidity and profitability in the sector in Romania
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Romania
- Build a complete perspective on the trends around deposits, loans and interest rates in Romania
- Ascertain Romania’s position in the global sector
- Assess market share by bank
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Romania
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for sub-sectors (consumer finance, mortgage lending and deposits).
See below for a complete table of report contents: