Argentina Banking Sector Report 2020/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: June 2020
Available in: English
2019 was a challenging period for the banking sector in Argentina. Starting in April 2018, an economic contraction unfolded, continuing throughout 2019, deteriorating business activity. A sharp devaluation of the Argentine peso and a jump in inflation resulted in a wave of corporate bankruptcies and a rise in delinquencies of commercial loans. The NPL ratio of the banking sector rose by 2.6pp during the year to 5.7% at end-2019, with the increase being particularly stark for public banks, with delinquencies standing at 7.3% as of December 2019, 490bp higher than the previous year. In this context of economic malaise, total outstanding loans rose by 15.8% y/y, much below the inflation rate of 52.9% y/y at end-2019, which indicated a 24.3% y/y reduction of the loan portfolio in real terms. The deposit base followed a similar pattern, increasing by 16.4% y/y in nominal terms, which translates into an inflation-adjusted decrease of 23.9% y/y.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the banking sector for Argentina. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the banking sector in Argentina
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key data on assets, liquidity and profitability in the sector in Argentina
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Argentina
- Build a complete perspective on the trends around deposits, loans and interest rates in Argentina
- Ascertain [country name]’s position in the global sector
- Assess market share by bank
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Argentina
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for sub-sectors (consumer finance, mortgage lending and deposits).
See below for a complete table of report contents: