Brazil Consumer Goods and Retail Sector 2018/2022An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: March 2019
Available in: English
In 2017, Brazil’s economy exited one of the deepest recessions in decades, and retail sales in the country returned to growth, expanding by 2% y/y in volume terms. Several factors supported the turnaround of the sector, including slowing inflation, decreased borrowing costs and the stabilisation of the job market that bottomed in the last quarter of the year. An additional positive impact came from active government measures to alleviate the debt burden and boost consumption of households. In line with the strengthening of the economy in the first nine months of 2018, retail sales in Brazil expanded by a further 2.3% y/y. The sector’s growth could be much higher, notwithstanding the negative impact of the nationwide truck drivers’ strike in May and the heightened uncertainty surrounding the October elections. Now these one-off effects have passed, retail activity is projected to accelerate in 2019, with performance improving significantly in all retail segments.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the consumer goods and retail sector for Brazil. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
The report also includes a separate chapter with 5-year forecasts for the main sectoral and macroeconomic indicators, delivered in the form of both time series and analytical commentaries.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in Brazil
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in Brazil
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Brazil
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Brazil
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: