Brazil Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2017/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is a Euromoney Institutional Investor plc company Date: January 2018
Available in: English
Given its strong positive correlation with the overall economy, retail was one of the sectors most severely hit by the economic recession in Brazil over the 2015-2016 period, which was marked by a deteriorating job market, falling wages, persistently high inflation and record-low consumer confidence. In 2016, retail sales contracted for the second year in a row, falling by 6.2% in volume terms. Retail sales revenue rose by 4.5% y/y in nominal terms, below the annual inflation rate of 6.3%, thus impairing the financial performance of sector players. However, in line with the economic recovery, the retail sector reached a turning point in the first half of 2017, thanks to slowing inflation, decreasing borrowing costs, an improving job market and active government measures to promote consumer spending. As the economy picks up, sales are projected to strengthen further in 2018, with performance improving significantly in all the main retail segments.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the retail sector for Brazil. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
The report also includes a separate chapter with 5-year forecasts for the main sectoral and macroeconomic indicators, delivered in the form of both time series and analytical commentaries.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in Brazil
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in Brazil
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Brazil
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Brazil
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: