China Consumer Goods and Retail Sector Report 2018 3rd QuarterAn EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: October 2018
Available in: English
China’s retail sector continued to grow in Q2 2018, although the pace of growth slowed down to 3.7% y/y. The sector was driven by strong domestic consumption which contributed 78.5% to the country’s economic growth in the first half of 2018. High consumption was largely a result of rising incomes, with disposable income per capita increasing by 8.7% y/y to RMB 6,248 in Q2 2018. The most dynamic growth was registered in the premium goods and services segment. Online retail generated RMB 2,149bn in sales of consumer goods and services, up by 26.2% y/y, with sales of consumer goods alone going up by 27.9% y/y to RMB 1,671bn. The quarter was characterised by increased implementation of new retail and internet technologies, such as big data, cloud computing, and augmented and virtual reality (AR, VR), aimed to stimulate consumption. In May 2018, Alibaba’s Tmall and Intersport Co Ltd set up a partnership on integrating their physical and online operations through implementation of digital technologies. In Q2 2018, online retailers continued to combine their online and offline operations. Alibaba expanded its Hema branded grocery chain, while JD.Com signed a strategic cooperation agreement with Lushang Group on unbounded retail development in Shandong province. In terms of retail formats, sales of convenience stores, supermarkets and department stores increased by 7.6%, 4.5% and 1.6% y/y respectively, in the first half of 2018.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the consumer goods and retail sector for China. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the retail sector in China
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key consumer confidence, income and consumption data for the sector in China
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in China
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Ascertain trends in sales and market share for different types of product (e.g. food, consumer appliance, apparel and footwear, etc.)
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in China
- Build a clear picture of sales and market share for different retail channels (e.g. department stores, hypermarkets and e-commerce).
See below for a complete table of report contents: