Colombia Electric Power Sector Report 2019/2020An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: May 2019
Available in: English
Colombia ranked sixth in terms of power generation in Latin America in 2017, accounting for 4.6% of total regional output during the period. Hydropower is by far the leading electric energy source in the country with a share of 69.6% of total installed capacity and 86% of total generation in 2017. Notably, from a total of 188 power plants in Colombia at end-2017, 143 were hydropower facilities, highlighting the extreme vulnerability of power supply and prices on various external factors such as temperature levels and volume of rainfall. The extreme long drought caused by the El Nino phenomenon in 2016 transformed the country into a net importer of electricity and highlighted the need for diversification of the electric energy mix and the development of other renewable energy sources in addition to water.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the electric power sector for Colombia. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the electric power sector and the energy matrix of Colombia
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key capacity, generation and consumption data for the sector in Colombia
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Colombia
- Ascertain Colombia’s position in the global sector
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Colombia
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for specific sub-sectors (e.g. power generation, transmission and distribution, and consumption).
See below for a complete table of report contents: