Africa Banking Sector Report 2020/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: May 2020
Available in: English
Africa’s financial sector has undergone considerable growth for a decade in terms of depth, sophistication and regulation. However, the stages of financial development vary widely across countries and most have a long way to go to catch up with other regions worldwide. While South Africa was ranked as the 26th most developed financially economy globally in the latest IMF financial development survey of 2017, the tail end of the ranking was occupied by African countries – Comoros, the Central African Republic, South Sudan, Guinea Bissau and Equatorial Guinea. Banks dominate financial intermediation across the continent, with the notable exception of South Africa. Low financial inclusion is still a bottleneck for both economic performance and more rapid growth of the sector. Rural areas and low income groups are largely underserved, while SMEs highlight access to finance as a major constraint for expansion. Digitalisation and financial technology (FinTech) companies, however, are on the rise and the picture is improving. Rising public debt and banks’ preference for sovereign holdings have been crowding out the private sector in a number of countries. Moderation in economic growth since 2015 and increasing levels of non-performing loans (NPL) have also constrained private sector credit growth. Nevertheless, banking sectors across the continent have remained liquid, well-capitalised and among the most profitable globally.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the banking sector for Africa. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the banking sector in Africa
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key data on assets, liquidity and profitability in the sector in Africa
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Africa
- Build a complete perspective on the trends around deposits, loans and interest rates in Africa
- Ascertain Africa’s position in the global sector
- Assess market share by bank
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Africa
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for sub-sectors (consumer finance, mortgage lending and deposits).
See below for a complete table of report contents: