Africa Telecommunications Sector Report 2020/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: February 2020
Available in: English
Africa’s telecommunications sector has been one of the most dynamic globally over the past decade, driven by mobile services in particular. Realising the importance of telecommunications for overall economic growth, governments across the continent started the process of creating a regulatory environment attractive for private investors in the late 1990s and early 2000s, as the mobile segment had been fully liberalised in about half the countries of Africa. The strong uptake of mobile services on the continent had been further supported by the late development of telecommunications infrastructure, in Sub-Saharan Africa in particular, which allowed many countries to leapfrog the fixed telephony technology. The emergence of affordable mobile devices allowed the majority of Africans to enjoy voice and text services for the first time, while the introduction of smartphones palpably improved internet access. Fixed broadband, on the other hand, remains constrained by the poor legacy of fixed telephony. Other major issues in the sector remain poor coverage of telecommunications infrastructure in rural areas, including mobile, and a widespread lack of digital literacy.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the telecommunications sector for Africa. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
The report also includes a separate chapter with 5-year forecasts for the main sectoral and macroeconomic indicators, delivered in the form of both time series and analytical commentaries.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the telecommunications sector in Africa
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- View key data on revenue, consumption and infrastructure for the sector in Africa
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Africa
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Africa
- Build a clear picture of trends and issues for sub-sectors (e.g. mobile, fixed line, internet, and pay TV).
See below for a complete table of report contents: